(1672 - 1928)
The first successful English producer of stoneware was John Dwight (c.1633-1703), a potter based in London. Dwight┐s pottery was established around 1672 in Fulham, at the junction of New King┐s Road and Burlington Road, not far from Putney Bridge. Initially Dwight copied German stonewares, using similar forms and motifs such as armorial medallions and bearded facemasks. By the 1680's however his pottery was producing simpler wares that would form the basis of a 'London stoneware' style. The Fulham pottery continued to be run by relations of Dwight until 1859, when Charles Edward White committed suicide under the threat of bankruptcy. After a brief hiatus Mackintosh and Clements purchased the pottery and they operated for a short time, but the next major phase began when the pottery was taken over by Charles Bailey in 1864. It received a dramatic overhaul, but by 1889 Bailey was declared bankrupt. The pottery survived by merging with the Cheavin Water filter Company, but little stoneware was produced here after 1918, with stoneware production finally ceasing in 1928.
Dwight experimented with various stoneware bodies, as well as porcelain, prior to the 1680┐s. His famous 'Fine white ware' was thinly potted, very white clay body with a slightly translucent appearance and characteristic speckling caused by the inclusion of fine black particles of iron oxide. Later 'fine wares' produced by his descendants may not have been as technically adept, and their coarser bodies were disguised by a thick white slip or 'engobe'. Later 18th and 19th century utilitarian vessels are largely indistinguishable from other London manufactories except on typological grounds. The common wares are sometimes stamped however.
Related objectsThere are 110 related objects.
C69a flask; spirit flask.
A1742? flask; spirit flask.
33.104/27 flask; spirit flask.
32.195 spirit barrel.
97.90/38 drinking vessel; globular mug.
A24361 drinking vessel; tankard.