Date: 15th century

Accession number: TL74[274]<2216>

Material: bone

Measurements: H 65 mm; W 65 mm

These bone framed spectacles were originally fitted with convex lenses for reading. The English friar Roger Bacon made the earliest reference to using a lens to enhance the eyesight in 1268. The demand for reading glasses increased after the middle of the 15th century, when printed books began to appear.

Pair of bone spectacle frames.
Pair of bone spectacle frames.

The Museum of London is funded by the Department of Culture, Media and Sport and the Corporation of London London Wall, LONDON EC2Y 5HN, United Kingdom. Copyright Museum of London, 2005 All rights reserved. This site is maintained by the Museum Systems Team.